Hardware and Software
Public Access Computers
The library has 12 Public Access Computers (PACs) running Microsoft Windows 10 operating system located in the adult area computer center available to anyone with a valid library card on a first-come, first-served basis for up to two hours per day in one hour sessions. Children under 10 years of age must be accompanied at all times by a responsible adult over the age of 18. Two additional PACs in the children’s area are available only to children ages 13 and under on a first-come, first-served basis. Each session lasts 30 minutes, but card holders are allowed a total of 120 minutes of computer time per day. Library cards are issued free of charge (some restrictions apply). The minimum age for a library card is 4 years old. Click here for information on how to get a library card.
- Broadband Internet Access
- Mozilla Firefox
- Google Chrome
- Microsoft Office Professional 2016
- Access – a database program that allows you to store, retrieve, analyze and print information, managing large amounts of data.
- Excel – a spreadsheet program that allows you to organize and revise data, calculate and compare numbers, and create charts and reports.
- PowerPoint – a program that allows you to make presentation slides, outlines for your presentation, speaker’s notes and audience handouts.
- Publisher – a desktop publishing program that allows you to create professional looking publications including brochures, newsletters, greeting cards, signs, business cards, stationery and flyers.
- Word – a word processing program that allows you to create, modify and format documents such as letters, resumes, reports, form letters and newsletters.
ScannX Digital Scanner includes a Bookscan flatbed scanner capable of scanning an 11″ x 17″ image as well as a Xerox DocuMate multi-sheet scanner. The ScannX can produce high quality .pdf documents and either emailing them directly or saving them to a USB drive.
Photo Editing Computer is reserved for scanning and image manipulation. For scanning we offer an Epson Perfection V600 Photo scanner. Software includes Gimp 2.10.32. USB ports are available for patron to save their work.
Tutor computer center has 4 computers for use by library staff to provide one-on-one tutoring for patrons. Thanks to a 2021 grant from the Olean Association for the Blind and Visually Handicapped these computers also feature:
- 4 Dell Enterprise Desktop vPro – Optiplex 7090 Small Form Factor computers with DVD drives
- 2 Dell P2722H 27” High Definition LED-Backlit Monitor (pivots, swivels, and height-adjustable)
- 2 Dell P2418HT 24″ Touch Screen Mnitors
- Zoomtext Magnifier/Reader 2022
- Epson DS-7500 scanner.
- 4 BOOGIIO Large Print, High Contrast Computer Keyboards
- 4 SANWA Wired Ergonomic Trackball Mice
Microfilm computer is attached to a Canon Microfilm Scanner 300/300II to allow patrons to save microfilm images in digital format. Also stored on this computer are Sanborn fire maps of Allegany, Olean and Portville. These computers run Windows XP with USB ports and dvd drive for patron use.