Ask your librarian to …
- Use the library’s resources to help answer your informational questions.
- Assist with the use of library materials and equipment.
- Help search our online catalog.
- Provide instruction in the use of online databases.
- Place requests for library materials.
- Place interlibrary loan requests for materials not owned by the library system.
- Provide basic computer assistance with the library’s public access computers.
- Do limited genealogy research using Olean City Directories and Olean newspapers (fees apply).
- Perform in-depth research. We are happy to help you find sources for your research but we are unable to do your research or homework assignments for you.
- Interpret medical, legal, financial, statistical or tax information.
- Provide technical support for non-library computers.
- Violate copyright law.
- Act in a manner that violates the Code of Ethics of the American Library Association.
- Phone 716 372 0200 and ask for the Information Desk.
This service is for factual information, not in-depth research. The more information you give us, the easier it will be for us to help you.
- Visit the library.
The Olean Public Library subscribes to several services providing our patrons with access to information using computers in the library or their own devices. Resources include resume writing, reference resources, health resources, investments, practice tests and more.
The Olean Public Library has the resources to help you find your roots. Search city directories from the late 1800s to the present, local newspapers on microfilm, state and county census data, local cemetery databases and local history books.
The Olean Public Library provides free access to computers, productivity software and the Internet. These resources offer access to a vast array of information and entertainment for all age groups and interests.
Whether looking for your first job, a career change or are newly unemployed, Olean Public Library has resources to help you land that job including books, online tests, recommended Web sites, computers, WiFi and printing services.
When the Olean Public Library does not own a copy of an item you want, we can try to borrow it from another library through Interlibrary Loan. In order to request a book on Interloan you must have a valid CCLS library card.