- The Reference staff will do limited genealogical research for patrons who are unable to visit the library in person by searching the Olean newspapers on microfilm for obituaries. There is no limit to the number of names you may submit to us. We prefer to have an exact date of death; however, month and year are acceptable. We will search the census records on microfilm that the library owns if an exact page number can be given.
- As our staff time is limited, the library will charge $15.00 for the first hour of research; $9.00 for each hour thereafter. This fee includes photocopying and postage. The minimum fee for any genealogy research will be $15.00.
- Patrons making genealogy requests must provide the library with a list of requested names (as full as possible) and death dates, a check or money order for the minimum fee ($15.00), a return mailing address and an upwards limit of how much they are willing to spend if the research requested takes more than one hour. Research results will not be made available until payment is made in full.
- No refunds will be issued should we not be able to locate the information requested. While we cannot guarantee that we can answer your specific question, our search will be thorough, and we will do our best to help you. If you wish us to begin a search for you, please send a check or money order payable to the Olean Public Library.
- Because we have many other similar research requests, we ask for your patience if our response is not as timely as you would wish. You may e-mail questions about your research request to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you would like us to begin research print out the Genealogy and Local History Request Form and mail it with your check or money order to the following address:
OLEAN PUBLIC LIBRARY
134 N 2ND ST
OLEAN, NY 14760-2583
Olean Newspapers (available on microfilm)
September 1852–May 1856
October 1860–July 1861
January 1884–December 1931
September 1881–November 1925
January 1929–December 1931
Olean Times Herald
Archive newspapers are available on microfilm for use in the library.
Olean City Directory
|• 1874-1875||• 1888-1889||• 1899|
|• 1882||• 1889-1890||• 1901|
|• 1884-1885||• 1891-1892||• 1902|
|• 1886-1887||• 1895-1896||• 1904–1952 (biennial)|
|• 1887-1888||• 1897||• 1953–present (annual, except 1968)|
Olean High School yearbook
You can help us complete our collection by donating unwanted Congress yearbooks to the library.
Local Census (Available on Microfilm)
- No census available–special schedules