Food and Drink
The Olean Public Library strives to create a welcoming, clean and comfortable environment for all to enjoy. Consistent with this goal, food and drink are allowed in the Library on a limited basis and should be consumed in a considerate and responsible manner. Food and drink pose a potential risk to library collections, equipment, and furnishings. In order to protect our resources and facilities from damage, we ask that you act responsibly when consuming food and drink in the Library.
- Beverages are allowed if they are in a spill-proof cup, container with a secure lid, a can, or plastic bottle with a screw top. Glass or open containers are not allowed.
- No alcoholic beverages are allowed in the Library.
- Consumption of food is limited to pre-packaged snacks or wrapped items that are consumed by an individual. Customers are encouraged to consume items that are odor free, noiseless and do not leave stains. Hot, smelly or messy foods such as pizza, burgers, and fries which might disturb others are not allowed.
- If your food or beverage is disturbing others, you will be asked to remove it from the Library.
- No food deliveries are allowed.
- Certain areas of the Library may be designated as “No Food or Drink” zones.
- Food and drinks are not permitted while using library computers, printers, photocopiers, microfilm readers or other electrical equipment.
- Food and drinks are not allowed while using the Library’s local history materials.
- Food and drink are permissible for special functions in Library meeting rooms as authorized by the Library Director. Rules for food and beverages are detailed under the Library’s Meeting Room Policy.
- Library users must
- Immediately report spills to staff.
- Discard food and drink refuse in trash containers.
- Leave all areas clean for use by others.
- Users violating this policy will be asked to remove their food and drink from the Library.
- Unattended food and drink openly displayed in public areas will be confiscated and discarded.
- Library users are liable for any damage to library materials or equipment.
–Adopted November 20, 2014