Library Assistant (Part Time, Provisional)
15-20 hours per week, including some evenings and Saturdays, $14.67 hr.
- Answers informational questions at the Information Desk
- Assists patrons with searching the online catalog and library databases
- Helps patrons of all ages find and use library materials, resources, and equipment
- May assist with library programs
- Assists with other duties as assigned by supervising Librarian
Skills and Abilities:
- Good attention to detail and ability to follow procedures consistently
- Good organizational and problem solving skills
- Tact and courtesy in dealing with the public and other staff
- Ability to use computers and various software, and assist patrons with basic computer questions
- Ability to express ideas clearly and accurately both orally and in writing
- Ability to carry out assignments independently
Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university or one recognized by the New York State Education Department as following acceptable educational practices.
This is a provisional appointment. Candidate must take the next Library Assistant Civil Service exam offered and score in one of the top three positions.
Position open until filled.
Send resume and cover letter to:
Olean Public Library
Attn: Kim Mahar, Assistant Director
134 N. 2nd St
Olean, NY 14760
Or email: Kmahar@oleanlibrary.org
The mission of the Olean Public Library is to provide equal access to materials in various formats, programs, services, and professional staff to assist all people with their educational, informational and leisure needs.
- Board of Trustees
- The Library is governed by a Board of Trustees who decides on policies for its operation and governance within New York State Education Department regulations and its own By-laws. The seven members of this Board come from throughout the Olean School District and are nominated and voted into this position by popular vote of the residents of the School District. The Board meets every month except July and August.
- The Library Director is the administrative officer of the Board of Trustees. Library regulations and staff procedures are established and administered by the Library Director within the general policies established by the Board of Trustees. The Library Director makes appointments to the staff to positions approved by the Board of Trustees.
Equal Employment Opportunity
All decisions regarding recruiting, hiring, promotion, assignment, training, termination, and other terms and conditions of employment will be made without unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, age, pregnancy, disability, work-related injury, covered veteran status, political ideology, genetic information, marital status, or any other factor that the law protects from employment discrimination.